The countries of the Euro-Mediterranean partnership, guided by the principles and
objectives of the Barcelona Declaration, are united in the struggle against terrorism. The
threat that terrorism poses to the lives of our citizens remains serious and terrorist attacks
seriously impair the enjoyment of human rights. We remain determined to strengthen cooperation
and co-ordination to respond to this global challenge. Today, we reiterate our
total condemnation of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and our determination
to eradicate it and to combat its sponsors.
We have exerted considerable effort and had significant success in combating terrorism.
We must continue to prevent terrorists accessing money and weapons, to disrupt their plans
and disrupt their networks and to bring them to justice, by strengthening international cooperation.
Our response must remain proportionate and solidly anchored within
international and domestic legal frameworks that ensure respect for human rights and
fundamental freedoms. We must not imperil the democratic values to which we are
We confirm that we will:
- implement in full all Security Council resolutions addressing the issue of terrorism,
ensuring respect for the Charter of the United Nations, international law and
international humanitarian law;
- strive to achieve the ratification and implementation of all 13 UN Counter-Terrorism
- welcome the work on the development of the UNSG’s strategy in the fight against
terrorism and co-operate with UN anti terrorism bodies;
- encourage the full implementation of the standards established by the Financial Action
- exchange information on a voluntary basis on terrorists and their support networks, in
accordance with international and national law;
- work bilaterally and in accordance with national legislation to develop our effective and
operational co-operation to disrupt networks and bring individuals involved in terrorist
acts to justice;
- refuse asylum to terrorists and deny them safe haven in accordance with international
- share expertise and best practices on countering terrorism on a voluntary basis,
including through technical assistance;
- ensure respect for human rights in the fight against terrorism in accordance with
- Consider convening a high level conference under the auspices of the UN to formulate
an international response to terrorism in all its aspects and manifestations, following
agreement on a comprehensive convention on international terrorism.
Terrorism can never be justified. If we are to succeed in the long term in enabling
international institutions, governments to stop terrorism we need to address all its causes.
We recognise the links between peace, security, social and economic development and
human rights. We will continue to do all we can to resolve conflict, end occupation,
confront oppression, reduce poverty, promote good governance and human right, improve
intercultural understanding and ensure respect for all religions. Such actions serve directly
the interests of the people of the Euromed region and work against the interests of the
terrorists and their networks.
To View the Full Document as PDF (128 KB)